Reflections on Week 1, K12 Online Conference

In the early years I have collaborated with colleagues to highlight some of the gems mined from the K12 Online Conference.  For reasons I can’t define, that practice has disappeared.  Since note-taking has always been a powerful learning strategy for me, I decided this year to blog my highlights as a personal reference point for my own learning from the first sessions I’ve heard.

The Sandbox Manifesto” by Angela Maiers
Take-away:
1. Sharing is Caring
2. Messy is Good
3. Imagination is Your Best Asset
4. Sand is for Filling Buckets
5. Hugs Help-Smiles Matter
6. Take It To The Community
7. Strangers Are Friends in Waiting
8. Be Remarkable-Nothing Less
9. You are the master of your fate
10. PLAY IS THE WORK!

Playing in Public” by George Couros
Take-away: As educators, we have a love of learning and consider ourselves to be “life-long learners.” This is a way of life that we want to infuse in our students.  George challenges us to work to learn something new and to model our learning publicly through social media.  This could be a powerful way to model risk-taking, the hard work, and persistence that it takes to be a learner.
The World is My Classroom” by Anne Mirtschin
Take-away: Anne truly provides a global classroom for her students.  Several years ago I saw an invitation from her to listen to some of her students make presentations online, and I “visited” her class to listen.  I enjoyed their presentations, and they were pleased that an educator from South Carolina, USA, had popped into their classroom to listen.  Anne is an excellent role model for 21st Century educators!
When Learning Becomes an Event” by Andy McKiel
Take-away: It’s important to make learning “sticky” for students.  In Andy’s experience, he has created learning events that matter to students.  What an incredible experience he had to travel to Churchill to bring the polar bear migration & global climate change crisis to life for classrooms around the world! As educators we need to constantly ask ourselves, “Why does this learning matter to our students?” and we need to be asking our students the same question!
“How Do I Know I Made a Difference” by Ben Hazzard
Take-away: Play is a state of mind.  Play-based learning provides opportunities for creativity, innovation, and a sense of belonging.  Can we teach students to be an explorer of the world? Play is the door to exploration. It takes a lot of courage for students to publish their products for the world to see.  This risk-taking boils down to 2 questions: Will I be embraced? Am I proud of who I am?

I’m looking forward to the wealth of learning still to be gained from the rest of the conference!

5 thoughts on “Reflections on Week 1, K12 Online Conference

1. The last couple of weeks have been extremely busy and I haven’t caught up with all of the K12 Online Conference sessions yet. It is great that they are there indefinitely. I saw your tweet in my tweetfeed and came to see what your takeaways were. Thank you for referring to mine and also for visiting my students in their student summit. That meant so much to them, especially as you were from a different country. Have you listened to the next lot yet?

2. I am also glad that the conference sessions are there indefinitely! I have also been extremely busy this week and haven’t been able to listen to any from week 2 yet. K12 Online is such a wonderful resource for personal learning. Thanks for being part of my PLN!

3. Thank you for posting your reflections Frieda. I have been wanting to check out some of the sessions, but just haven’t done so yet. Seeing your takeaways may have hopefully relit the fire. I follow Angela Maiers on Twitter and she always has a lot of great things to share, I really like the statement “Be Remarkable – Nothing Less”.

4. Pingback: K12 Online Conference: Closing Live Event | Angela Maiers Educational Services, Inc.